Pages

Ads 468x60px

Just a girl that loves cooking in the great state of Texas!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Slow Cooker Carne Guisada


One of my all time favorite Pinterest recipes. Cooked in the slow cooker. This is a Martha Stewart recipe for Carne Guisada.

Its basically beef, peppers, and onions in a thick tomato based gravy.

 I don't alter this recipe much but I do make the steps easier.

 After all, crock pot cooking is supposed to be easy!



My steps;

While the skillet is heating up, I season the meat with black pepper and Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning, set aside. 
You want your heat to be medium high.
I also use a pretty large non stick skillet.

Premeasure the flour and seasonings in a small bowl, set aside.
 I omit the oregano.

Cut up jalapeno, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Set aside in bowl.

Measure out chicken broth, set aside.
I like to use the Swanson flavor boost broth concentrate in my broth, adds great flavor.

Open can of diced tomatoes, set aside.

Brown your seasoned meat in heated skillet.

Transfer meat to Crock Pot. Reserving the juices in the skillet. 

 

Place skillet back onto the stove and add onion, garlic and pepper mix.

After cooking, add to Crock Pot. Reserving as much of the pan drippings as you can.

 In Martha's recipe she suggests adding the flour and seasonings to the veggies.
Please don't. You'll end up with lumpy gravy.
 I don't keep adding oil to the skillet as she suggests in the recipe.
This is the time I'll add the oil, and I add 5 tablespoons.
Let it get nice and hot on medium high heat.

I know so many people that have a hard time making gravy.

 It really is super easy!

After the skillet is nice and hot, add flour and seasoning mix.

Stir well.
 
Add chicken broth and stir well. You don't want any lumps!
Add diced tomatoes.
Give it a good stir.
 
Add to crock pot and stir until everything is incorporated.

Add bay leaves to crock pot.
 
After cooking 6 hours on high. Such a flavorful dish!


I like to accompany this dish with some flour tortillas and a bowl of my Slow Cooker Pinto Beans


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Total Pageviews

Translator